Friday 29 August 2014

A Book Review: If I Stay By Gayle Forman



For some reason I had never thought of writing a book review but once the idea popped up in my head literally five minutes ago I thought of what an idiot I was to not have thought of it before. So here I am half way under my duvet and leaning back on my newly cushioned pillows typing away on my laptop at 23:30. 

When I upload this, it will be the day the film ‘If I Stay’ is released in cinemas in the UK. Therefore I’m thinking why not write a book review on the book which ‘If I Stay’ is based on since I’ve already read the book. In addition it just happens to be my favourite book.
About one or two years ago I read ‘If I Stay’ for the first time. I do wish I could tell a magical story of how I found it but I really can’t remember where I came across it. I am certain though that no one recommended it to me or that I found it in my school’s library. Just putting that out there. It was the first book that stood out to me and started my current reading habits. In other words this book is very special to me.
Before I joined secondary school, I never read a book. It was a struggle for me to get through one book. But then I came across this book and read it in a day. It may be a small book of only 210 pages with font that is slightly bigger than average but just believe me when I say that this was a miracle.
I had never come across a story that centres around a girl, who is in a coma following a tragic car accident, where she is able to witness the lives of the people around her as they try to cope with her condition. Now don’t walk away from this book, it may sound a bit too heavy or too descriptive but it’s not, it’s gripping and you’re left never wanting to put the book down as your shown hope again and again. 
Mia, the main character, has to make the decision to stay and experience the loss of her family, or to simply let go. She has nowhere to run to but she is not alone in making her decision. Her loved ones are always beside her encouraging her to make the decision for herself. Some are selfish and some ask her to be selfish. She may not be alone but when it comes to the end, it’s up to her.
As a result of death occurring in the book, the story could have been lost in a pessimistic and sad atmosphere but Forman somehow saves the story by describing past happy moments with many of the other characters and Mia through her life as well as prevailing hope.
There’s something about this story which has and may always be special to me. As you can tell by the photo of my copy of the book is a bit battered, could be worse, but is not all perfect and new anymore. This book has been everywhere with me, in the bath tub (not in the water, has come close though but luckily I’ve managed to never let it drop in when I’ve had a bath), on just about every holiday of mine and I will of course be taking it with me on holiday next.
Between you and me, I’m slightly protective of this book. I’ve always wanted it to be adapted into a film but I never thought that would actually happen until a month ago when the trailer appeared in my YouTube side box. I just hope the story truly shines through in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment